Learning Outside the Classroom
Brooklands is proud to hold the Learning Outside the Classroom Mark which recognises our work in learning beyond the classroom.
As the only school in Suffolk to hold both Forest School and Beach School status our children are immersed in an exciting and rich curriculum which features regular visits to our local forest (Pattles Fen in Brantham) and our local beach at Wrabness. This experience is incredibly exciting and allows our children to learn outside the classroom. We are also extremely fortunate to have within our expansive school grounds, an on-site forest in addition to an engaging wildlife area, outdoor stage and classroom.
As part of our curriculum children experience:
- Pond dipping and bug hunts in our habitat areas
- Music and drama performances using our outdoor stage
- Growing their own fruits and vegetables to taste and cook in our garden
- Have their imaginations ignited in our story telling chair by visits from storytellers
- Den building and team challenges at Forest School
- Explore rock pools and learn about the environment at Beach School
- Experience a residential trip in Year 6
- Toast marshmallows on open fires and making hot chocolate
- Explore rocks in our onsite Geology Garden
Learning beyond the classroom is a huge part of life at Brooklands and threads throughout our curriculum for all year groups and all the way through the years enabling our children to embed knowledge and skills over their entire learning journey at Brooklands.